2004 Arctic Cat Snowmobile Service Manual Repair Manual – PDF Download
2004 Snowmobile Service Manual Volume 1 & 2
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. General Information (Vol. I)
2. Engine (Vol. I)
3. Engine-Related Items (Vol. I)
4. Fuel Systems (Vol. I)
5. Engine Electrical Systems (Vol. I)
6. Chassis Electrical Systems (Vol. II)
7. Steering and Body (Vol. II)
8. Drive Train and Brake Systems (Vol. II)
9. Track/Rear Suspension (Vol. II)
ACTIVATING ECU MEMORY
?NOTE: The ECU memory on the 2004 Arctic Cat
Batteryless EFI system (with the APV system) can
be activated only by using the EFI Analyzer (p/n
0644-342) which has had the Update Harness Kit
(p/n 0644-341) installed. For “Laydown” engine
models, use EFI Analyzer Update Kit (p/n 0637-
The ECU has a self-diagnostic mode built into the unit.
It is a very valuable tool in troubleshooting. Once the
problem area code has been flashed by the light emitting
diode (LED) located at the end of the ECU (check
engine light in the speedometer/tachometer on “Laydown”
engine models), follow the troubleshooting
procedure in this sub-section.
The ECU also has a memory mode for determining if
any of the five sensors have intermittently failed. To
activate the memory system, follow these steps.
1. Connect the analyzer test harness to the ECU
2. Connect the analyzer test harness red and black
leads to a 12-volt battery.
3. Turn the analyzer switch ON.
4. Press the analyzer MENU SELECT buttons
repeatedly until KOKUSAN appears on the
display. Once the word KOKUSAN appears on
the display, press the TEST button. The analyzer is
now set up to test the batteryless EFI system.
5. Press the analyzer MENU SELECT buttons
repeatedly until the words Memory Problem
Diagnosis Test appears on the display.
6. Press the analyzer TEST button. If all sensors are
good, SENSORS ALL O.K. will appear on the
display. If any of the sensors have intermittently
failed or are faulty, they will appear on the display.
Proceed then to checking the faulty sensor
individually as covered in this section.
?NOTE: Once problem areas have been determined,
always check the component(s) for clean
and tight connections.
7. To erase the memory of the ECU, press the TEST
button once again; then push the MENU SELECT
buttons until Diagnosis Memory Clear appears on
the display. Turn the analyzer OFF and then back
ON again. Reselect KOKUSAN mode; then
proceed to the Memory Problem Diagnosis Test
and push the TEST button. The display should
indicate SENSORS ALL O.K. which indicates the
memory has been cleared.
?NOTE: On standard models, there isn’t a test for
the ECU. If a problem is suspected in this unit, try
another ECU. When using another ECU, it must be
a 1997-2003 or 2004 model with a batteryless system.
The ECU may be sent to the Arctic Cat Service
Department for testing. Please contact the
Service Department before sending any units.
1. Disconnect the two wiring harness leads (one lead
on “Laydown” engine models) from the front of
2. Remove the four screws securing the ECU to the
3. Remove the ECU.
?NOTE: If there are any questions concerning
lead or harness connections, there is an batteryless
EFI system wiring diagram in the back of this
1. Secure the ECU to the air-intake silencer with the
?NOTE: Make sure the diagnostic connector plug
faces the oil reservoir.
2. Connect the wiring harness to the ECU.
?NOTE: Make sure all connectors are clean and
tight. Apply dielectric grease to all connectors
- This is the same manual used by the dealers to diagnose and troubleshoot your vehicle
- You will be directed to the download page as soon as the purchase is completed. The whole payment and downloading process will take anywhere between 2-5 minutes
- Need any other service / repair / parts manual, please feel free to contact [email protected] . We still have 50,000 manuals unlisted